The Station Nightclub Fire (West Warwick, RI) – February 20, 2003

Today marks the 14th anniversary of The Station nightclub fire. Below is video detailing the events of the incident.

The Station nightclub fire occurred on Thursday, February 20, 2003, in West Warwick, Rhode Island. The fire was caused by pyrotechnics set off by the tour manager of the evening’s headlining band Great White, which ignited plastic foam used as sound insulation in the walls and ceilings surrounding the stage. A fast-moving fire with intense black smoke engulfed the club in 5½ minutes. Video footage of the fire shows its ignition, rapid growth, the billowing smoke that quickly made escape impossible, and the exit blockage that further hindered evacuation.[1] The toxic smoke, heat and the stampede of people toward the exits killed 100; 230 were injured and another 132 escaped uninjured. Many of the survivors developed posttraumatic stress disorder as a result of psychological trauma.[2] 

From Wikipedia

Simulation of the events at the Station Night Club Fire

NIST recreation of the fire

Video (4 parts) below by Greg Best