LODD: WV Firefighter Killed Along With Two Others After Cell Phone Towers Collapse

michael garrettUpdated:

Nutter Fort Fire Department:

On February 1, 2014, the Nutter Fort Fire Department responded to a rescue incident involving multiple patients due to a reported cell phone tower collapse on Murphy’s Run in Summit Park, WV. While rescuing a victim, Firefighter/EMT-I Michael Garrett was severely injured during a secondary collapse. Michael was then transported to United Hospital Center where he succumbed to his injuries. Funeral arrangements are incomplete at this time, but will be released upon finalization.

A Nutter Fort FD Firefighter (WV) was killed during a rescue attempt at a collapsed cell phone tower. He was killed when a second, smaller tower collapsed. Two other people were killed in the incident. The name of the firefighter has not been officially released.

Nutter Fort FD Line of Duty DeathNutter Fort Fire Department:

It is with great sadness that the Nutter Fort Fire Department is confirming the line of duty death of one of our members. The Firefighter was injured on scene in Summit Park during a secondary collapse at the cell tower and transported to United Hospital Center. While being treated the firefighter succombed to his injuries. No name is being released at this time. Further details will be released at a later date. We ask that you keep his family and all members of the Nutter Fort Fire Department in your prayers. Please refrain from contacting the Fire Department for further information.

Fire Chief Jeremy Haddix



CLARKSBURG, W.Va. — Police in West Virginia say three people have died when two cellphone towers collapsed.

State Police Cpl. Mark Waggamon says two contractors who were tethered to a 300-foot tower were killed when the structure collapsed shortly before noon Saturday in Clarksburg. A member of the Nutter Fort Fire Department died after a second, smaller tower collapsed minutes later.

Original story from WBOY:

Two people are confirmed dead, and three injured after the collapse of a cell tower on Saturday.

It happened just after 11:30 a.m. on Murphy’s Run Road in the Summit Park area of Clarksburg.

Summit Park Volunteer Fire Department’s Fire Chief said four contractors were approximately 80 to 100 feet up on the tower, and harnessed to it, when it collapsed.