I was recently sent the Channellock Model 86 Rescue Tool by TheFireStore.com. This isn’t the first Channellock rescue tool I have owned, and I am currently still using my Channellock Model 87 Rescue Tool. There is a difference between the two, and it might be personal preference or application that makes you decide on one or the other…or both for use.
For me, the reason for carrying a set of Channellock rescue tools is two-fold. I always have some cutters on me in a time of need (whatever that might be (including a spanner wrench). The other main reason is we run a lot of car wrecks. One of my roles at wrecks is to assess the vehicles involved and disconnect the battery if need be. My cutters come in handy if I cannot reach the terminals to loosen them, I simply cut the wire to get the job done quickly.
Not only that, but the Channellock’s I have been using for years have held up great! I am certain this new set will be the same.
Plus, if you were ever wondering what to do with that radio pocket (I wear a radio strap), the Channellock tool will fit nicely in the pocket for quick access (picture to the right). I have an old piece of hose sewn at the bottom lining my radio pocket to keep the tool from wearing a hole in it.
Pros: High quality, Made in the USA.
I would recommend this tool to others, and I will give it a 5 out of 5 stars.
- Jaw design accommodates many shapes and provides maximum grip
- Spring and lock feature allows easy one-hand operation in high-stress situations
- Shuts off gas safety valves and pries open windows and doors
- Spanner wrench tightens and loosens up to 5-inch hose couplings
- XLT ™ technology requires considerably less force to cut than traditional high leverage designs
- Laser heat-treated cutting edges last longer and easily cut hard and soft wire
- Overall length: 9.02 in / 229.48 mm
- Jaw length: 1.78 in / 45.38 mm
- Joint thickness: 0.45 in / 11.43 mm
- Joint width: 1 in / 25.40 mm
- Cutting edge: 0.72 in / 18.38 mm
- Nose width: 0.25 in / 6.47 mm
- Handle span: 3.76 in / 95.55 mm
- Weight: 0.90 lbs / 412.27 g