As you know, Willie Wines Jr., Kevin Totten, and I climbed 110 stories as a part of the 9/11 Memorial Stair Climb at Firehouse Expo. We climbed with 320 others, some of whom we knew already and others who we met for the first time.
The event was a huge success. All I can really say is that you have to participate in one to really understand.
Below is more coverage and video of the event.
- Willie Wines Jr. – The climb
- Thomas Warshaw – For the Honor of 343 Brothers
- Fire Critic – Rhett Fleitz – 110 FLOORS FOR 343…NEVER FORGET. HONOR, RESPECT, TRADITION
- Joe Schmoe didn’t climb because he wasn’t there, but he had some kind words here
Here is some local news coverage
- Firehouse.com – 9/11 Stair Climb at Expo Honors Fallen FDNY Bravest
- WBFF – Fox45 – video of the climb
- ABC2 – Firefighters to pay tribute to fallen 9/11 firefighters
- Baltimore Sun – Firefighters climb stairs to honor lives lost in Sept. 11
- CBS – Stair-Climbing Memorial Honors Firefighters Who Died Sept. 11
When you can climb and how to sign up
If you are interested in participating in a 9/11 Memorial Stair Climb all you have to do is find one near you. Willie Wines Jr. and I are planning on doing the stair climb in Atlanta during Fire Rescue International and either the climb in Richmond, VA on Sept. 11th or the one in Greenbelt, MD on Sept. 11th. We have not signed up for any of them, but once we clear our schedules we plan on signing up!
One other thing I have to mention is the Better Angels display. This memorial is awesome. There is a short video here.